Monday, February 1, 2010

The Jade Peony


This is my second book from the 2010 Canada Reads list. Wayson Choy's, The Jade Peony, is a great read. She gives a picture into the history and times of Chinese Canadians during the 1930s and 40s. The story is told from 3 different family members of a Chinese Canadian family. Revealed in the story are some of the feelings of the children who were born in Canada and feel Canadian but are told by their parents that they are Chinese. I liked seeing how each child finds a way to try to fit in, to be Canadian. Also the existing historical events that are taking place at the time (World War II), the bombing of Pearl Harbour etc. and how that is affecting the general population but specifically Chinese Canadian and Japanese Canadian families. I finished the book and feel like I'm still digesting it, thinking through what it all means.


1 comment:

  1. It looks to me like you are well into your stack of books!

    I think this one will be a must read for me. I will pass the name on to Martha..... it sounds like one for her too.

    ReplyDelete