Wednesday, January 6, 2010

January, A Time To Read


I Am Hutterite by Mary-Ann Kirkby, was recommended to me by my mother-in-law. I finally picked it up from the library last week and finished it in record time. My interest in Hutterite culture was peaked when we were able to tour a colony in October. Mary-Ann Kirkby tells the story of her life as a Hutterite and then her life after she, along with her family, left the colony. It was really a beautiful telling of the her experiences both good and bad in the Hutterite life. Yes, I'd have to say I loved this book. In theory I love many of the ideas surrounding this culture that promotes simple living and the strength of the community but of course humanity always interferes with ideology. Pick this book up, it's worth the read.

2 comments:

  1. As a follow-up I recommend "Nightwatch" by Robert Rhodes. It is the experience of a family who, like you, were drawn to parts of the Hutterite lifestyle and lived in a colony for an number of years.

    Probably not as well written (in my estimation!) but so very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this book also and found it very interesting.

    ReplyDelete