Friday, December 4, 2009

Snowed In


No, I haven't finished another book but I've been feeling the need to expand my topics on this blog. I always love reading other blogs about knitting, reading, parenting, and daily routines. I'd really like to share this beautiful day with you.
It's been snowing since 6am. I went for a morning swim and returned to find my car completely covered in snow. It's now almost 1pm and still snowing. I've posted a picture of the view from my kitchen window. The kids and I shovelled and played in the snow for an hour this morning.
For lunch I felt inspired to create a few soups from the leftovers in our fridge and freezer. South of the Border Black Bean Soup and Hummus Soup. The Hummus Soup was delicious. I took some leftover hummus added onions, garlic and 2 cups of chicken broth, red peppers, broccoli...the result was very surprising. I've been trying to make a couple of different soups each week in an attempt to get more vegetables in our diet. So far I'm really happy with the results. I have some orzo to use up so I'm on the look out for a recipe to add that to.
Now I think we'll spend the afternoon napping (B), colouring (J) and knitting/reading (Steph). It's a snowy day and housework doesn't fit into my agenda today.

3 comments:

  1. mmm hummus soup to warm up happy tum tums :)
    That is one of my very favourite! The snow is blowing and the roads are frightful, so we are cozy inside. What would be a grand addition would be a wood burning stove, ahh the simple joys that are so meaningful. Cookie baking and making our staple soups seem to be a good way to enjoy close family time today. Please share more about you, love hearing about my friends lives. Just need to pull up with a cup of tea now. Enjoy a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. re: orzo: I make orzo by boiling it in chicken broth, add fresh basil and grated parmesan cheese. Tastes amazing! Serve with asparagus and shrimp.

    ReplyDelete